Welcome One and All!

UPDATE: I've let this story languish for a while, but after some gentle prodding, I'm going to take it up again. Hopefully it will be finished in time for summer!

Welcome to my annual journey through literary abandon, the attempt to write 50,000 words within 30 days. This year, my themes are self-discovery and acceptance. For those of you following along, I want to explain my methodology. Writing this quickly requires a different approach; there is no time for major editing. As a result, you may find that place names, even people's names, may change mid-story. If I do make a change, I will try to note it so you don't get lost.

If you have ever been curious, this may be a chance to see a writer "in action", that is, to see how a story develops. Usually, the reader only sees a final, polished product. What you will find here is the first rough draft of a story. This year, additionally, I don't have a full synopsis to work from. Instead, I know where I am starting and where I want to finish, and I am going to let the characters take me there.

None of my characters are based on real people. They are the aggregate of my experiences through the years. If you see yourself in someone, please understand that while we are all unique individuals, our experiences have common threads. I am not copying you. Additionally, my characters may appear unconventional. There may be descriptions that are uncomfortable if you are squeamish about lifestyles other than your own. I hope this won't put you off reading along.

NOTE: Blog entries appear last post first, so to read in order if you are catching up, use the scene listing on the right hand side of the page.

Monday, November 1, 2010

Chapter I, Scene 2

     They stopped for lunch at a little café near the campus.  The three and a half hour drive from Greensboro to Staunton, Virginia, where Mary Baldwin College was located, had been mostly filled with Kelly and Kaitlan discussing Kaitlan’s new dorm, class schedule, and whether she would be able to get along with her roommate, a girl from Maine.  Michelle had thrown in a few comments and a twenty-minute lecture on sex and drinking that left Kaitlan, sitting directly behind her where she couldn’t be seen, rolling her eyes and making faces.  Kelly was glad when they arrived and she could get out of the car.  She could smell the previous night’s bourbon on Michelle’s skin, despite her having showered, and wanted to escape into some fresh air.

     The restaurant was in an old storefront, brick walls and white tablecloths.  Kelly bit back a sigh when Michelle ordered beer with her sandwich, and settled for tea herself.  Michelle had three more before they were finished, and was more interested in finding the bathroom once they arrived at the dorm than in helping haul all the luggage Kaitlan had packed up the three flights of stairs to her room.

     At last, the car was unpacked and Kelly and Kaitlan were sitting on the bed, Michelle having excused herself to go smoke.  Kelly smiled bravely, trying not to cry at the thought of leaving her little girl behind on the trip back to North Carolina.

     “Aunt Kelly, I’ll be fine,” Kaitlan said, smiling.  “I’ll call you every day.”

     “I know you will be, hon,” Kelly responded.  “I’ve just been dreading this day.  You’re all grown up.”

     “I’m still your little munchkiki.  Though if you call me that near any of my friends I’ll disown you.”

     Kelly laughed.  “I wouldn’t dare.  Look, Kaitlan, I’m sorry your mother couldn’t make it with us ….”

     “Don’t be.”  Kaitlan looked away.   “I know how it is.  I’m a little worried about you, though.”

     “Why?”

     “You haven’t seemed happy lately.  And Aunt Michelle is always frowning or bitching about something.  I know how you are; you’re more interested in making her happy than taking care of yourself.”  Kaitlan turned her attention to the floor.  “I just worry.”

     Kelly sighed.  “Michelle and I are just an old married couple, Kaitlan.  We fight, we make up.  That’s the way it is.  We both love you, and that’s what’s important.”  She was hoping Kaitlan wouldn’t pursue the issue.

     “I suppose.  I’ll walk you down; I want to give Bear Mama one more hug before you guys leave.”

     Michelle was leaning against a column on the porch when they approached, and she grinned when she saw them.  “There’s my little coed.  Sappy goodbyes done?”

     “Except for yours, Bear Mama,” Kaitlan replied, sliding her arms around Michelle’s waist.  “I’m going to miss you.”

     “Aww, Hell, Kaitlan,” Michelle replied gruffly, tousling her hair.  “I’m gonna miss you too.”

     Kelly waited out the goodbye, then gave Kaitlan one more hug before watching her disappear back into the dorm.  A few moments passed before Michelle put a hand on her arm.

     “You alright, Honey?”

     Kelly coughed.  “I will be.  I’m glad she chose Mary Baldwin over the others.  It’s much closer.”

     “But not too close.  Come on, let’s go.”  Michelle started down the stairs. 

     With one last look behind her, Kelly followed.  She dreaded the drive home, just the two of them, with nothing to talk about but the girl they were leaving behind to find her own life while they trudged on through their old one.  There was nothing to be done for it, however, and she drew in a breath when they reached the car hoping  that what was to come wouldn’t.

     “Are you gonna stop for gas before we get on the highway?”  Michelle closed the door and didn’t fasten her seatbelt.

     “I hadn’t planned on it,” Kelly replied, buckling hers.

     “Well, stop so I can get a couple of beers then.”

     Kelly started the car and counted to ten, remembering what she had read about standing firm in her wishes.  “It makes me uncomfortable when you drink in the car.”

     “Why?  I’m not driving.”  Michelle made a face.  “It’s not like you’ve never done it.”

     “I’m trying to get my act together.”  Kelly realized she’d said the wrong thing immediately, but could only watch Michelle’s face growing red.

     “There’s nothing wrong with my ‘act’, Kelly.”  Michelle’s voice was gruff.

     “I didn’t say there was,” Kelly began.

     “You want to play sober, fine.  But don’t act like a martyr about it.”

     Anger flared deep in Kelly’s stomach, anger that as quickly turned to resignation as she recognized the futility of the argument.  Shoving the car into gear, she pulled out and headed toward the interstate, wishing she had the nerve to drive past the row of convenience stores on the way despite Michelle’s insistence.  She knew, though, that Michelle would win; she always did.  It was easier for Kelly to deal with her when she was happy, and being happy meant having a beer for the drive.

     Michelle bought a twelve-pack and was already opening her second by the time they had merged into traffic on I-81.  Feeling defeated, Kelly turned on the radio and tried to ignore the smell of malt and barley, and the grumbling desire in her stomach to join her partner in washing away her woes.

No comments:

Post a Comment