Welcome One and All!

UPDATE: I've let this story languish for a while, but after some gentle prodding, I'm going to take it up again. Hopefully it will be finished in time for summer!

Welcome to my annual journey through literary abandon, the attempt to write 50,000 words within 30 days. This year, my themes are self-discovery and acceptance. For those of you following along, I want to explain my methodology. Writing this quickly requires a different approach; there is no time for major editing. As a result, you may find that place names, even people's names, may change mid-story. If I do make a change, I will try to note it so you don't get lost.

If you have ever been curious, this may be a chance to see a writer "in action", that is, to see how a story develops. Usually, the reader only sees a final, polished product. What you will find here is the first rough draft of a story. This year, additionally, I don't have a full synopsis to work from. Instead, I know where I am starting and where I want to finish, and I am going to let the characters take me there.

None of my characters are based on real people. They are the aggregate of my experiences through the years. If you see yourself in someone, please understand that while we are all unique individuals, our experiences have common threads. I am not copying you. Additionally, my characters may appear unconventional. There may be descriptions that are uncomfortable if you are squeamish about lifestyles other than your own. I hope this won't put you off reading along.

NOTE: Blog entries appear last post first, so to read in order if you are catching up, use the scene listing on the right hand side of the page.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Chapter III, Scene 2


     “Awww … come on, honey!”  Michelle’s voice was soft near Kelly’s ear as her hands moved toward familiar places.  “It’s early still.”

     Kelly drew in a breath.  “I really don’t feel like it, Michelle.”

     Since her lunch with Carol, Kelly had spent more time than she cared to admit thinking about their discussion.  It was with great discomfort that she’d finally had to admit that she did give in to Michelle too often, on too many things.  Tonight, she really did have a headache and wasn’t in the mood for what Michelle was proposing.  But Michelle was being Michelle, insistent and intense.

     “Hmm … this suggests differently.”

     Kelly cursed inwardly that the nipple Michelle was referring to had responded to her touch.  “I have a headache.  Just go to sleep.”

     “A headache?”  Michelle laughed.  “I can cure that.”  Her fingers moved down Kelly’s body.

     Something inside Kelly snapped.  She pushed away from Michelle and swung her feet out from under the covers.  “I said no, Michelle.”

     Michelle looked at her, her expression inscrutable.  “What’s the problem?”

     “Are you serious?”  Kelly rolled her eyes.  “I don’t feel like it.  I don’t want to.  I said no.”

     “Are you PMSing or something?  ‘Cause I know how to fix that.”

     Kelly exploded.  “Are you fucking nuts?  What part of ‘no’ don’t you get?”

     “Don’t yell at me!”  Michelle reared up on the bed, her eyes sparking.

     “I am so sick and tired of everything being about you, Michelle!  I’ve had it!”

     “What the Hell are you talking about?  Everything I do is for you.”

     Kelly glared at her for a long moment, felt surrender rising within her, and pushed it down as she turned and stalked toward the door.  Michelle said something else, but it was lost in the pounding of blood in Kelly’s ears.  She only knew she had to get out of the room, away from Michelle.

     Michelle followed her to the guest room, but Kelly blocked the doorway.

     “Oh, come on, Kelly.  This is ridiculous.  Come back to bed.”  Michelle’s voice took on a pleading tone that served only to make Kelly angrier.

     “No.  You go to bed.”

     “What’s going on?  I don’t understand.”

     For just a moment, Kelly wanted to relent, but then she looked into Michelle’s eyes and saw what was there; Michelle was saying whatever she thought would get Kelly to give in.

     “Good night, Michelle.”  She closed the door, leaving her partner in the hallway.

     “You’re a real bitch, you know that, Kelly?”  There was a bang as something, probably Michelle’s hand, slammed against the door. 

     Startled, and more than a little afraid, Kelly turned the lock.  After a couple more bangs, she heard Michelle curse and a few moments later another door slammed.  Finally, silence fell.  Kelly paced to the single bed and sank down, trembling.  Michelle had never before acted the way she just had.  True, they both had been drinking heavily that night, but as hard as Kelly searched her memory, she couldn’t recall a time that Michelle had hit anything, living or not.

     Still, underneath the fear was a strange, new feeling.  She had stood up for herself, and it felt good.  Maybe Carol had been right after all; maybe she did need to claim some personal space in their relationship.  The adrenalin began to wear off, and she yawned.  Time would tell, but for the moment a good night’s sleep beckoned and she was eager to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment